Saturday, June 8, 2013

Part 13: The Warning

How?

How did The Princess take control of our message board, if only for a few seconds?  It didn't make any sense.  Our message board wasn't a video game.  Our message board pulled all its information from the internet.  The Princess was already inhabiting a game at the same time.  All the rules we thought we knew, all the things we thought kept us safe had failed us.  Could she have done this at any time?  Could she do it again?  Were there any real limits to what she was capable of?

We looked through all the data we'd collected.  We tried to find some common thread we'd been missing.  There must have been some way we could have known.  There had to be more answers than what we were seeing.  And there were.

We finally realized the truth.  It was so obvious.  The Princess had been in our message board the whole time.  She was on every page.  She was on every forum list.  She'd been staring at us, watching us for years and we never even saw it.  She was the banner at the top of the forum.  She was every screenshot we'd posted, every video we'd uploaded and every piece of fanart we'd drawn.

Every image of her is her.  Every image of her, when observed, gives her power.  She's not a ghost.  She's not a computer virus.  She's an idea.  "Living fiction."  She lives off our observation and thoughts of her.  When we all watched that stream, banded together and gave her all of our attention all at once, we made her more powerful than she'd ever been before.  We made her strong enough to manifest through the images we'd posted on our message board and speak directly to us.

We took down all the images.  From what we speculate, it's enough to simply never look at them again, but we deleted them all just to be certain.  However, it may already be too late for us.  I've been losing contact with other members of the society.  I can't tell if something's happened to them or if they've simply gone into hiding, but at this point only a fool wouldn't consider the worst-case scenario.

I'm not completely heartless.  I know she's fighting for her survival, now.  For her, being forgotten is death.  She does what she does in the hopes of keeping her memory alive.  To that end, perhaps my telling her story to the world is a small act of mercy.  Maybe the thoughts I've lent her will ease her pain somewhat.  I don't know, but either way that isn't why I wrote all this.

What I've told you could put you in great danger, but it could also save your life.  You're a target now, and in the months and years ahead she may well come for you, but I've also given you all the knowledge you need to keep yourself safe.

Do not try to fight her.

Do not try to talk to her.

Do not try to outsmart or trap her.

Don't investigate.

Don't try to understand.

Don't try to be a hero.

Don't try to be her savior.

It is my sincere hope that I've given you all the answers you want, so you won't make our mistake and try to investigate further.  There is one and only one thing you need to do to be safe:

IF YOU SEE HER, TURN OFF THE GAME!

30 comments:

  1. Worth following for all these years. Excellent work.

    Is it a coincidence that an unused red-haired girl in a white dress does exist in Ocarina of Time's code, or was that part of your inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it wasn't there before.....

      Delete
  2. I wish I got to know more about Dan though. What was she building? What was Dan not telling us?

    Even without knowing, it was a great story, and I'm glad I stuck around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was trying to rebuild her image. She used every texture from the game to try and bring her identity back, but she couldn't remember how it looked.

      Delete
    2. Personally, I think she was trying to recreate her Final Boss. She was created to be a character in a game. However, her game was left unfinished. From the sounds of it, she was trying to recreate her world. She just wants someone to finish making the game.

      Delete
  3. MY CREEPY TWITTERSTALKING PAID DIVIDENDS.
    Thank you, seriously. I'm kinda gimpy and laid up a lot of times, so I tend to read a lot of stories to keep my brain occupied, and this one (especially considering the SA source thread had you saying it was your first) is one of my favorites. It's both scary and really, really sad, and awesomely done. Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for the hours of entertainment in your postings. Truly a captivating experience from start to finish. Thank you for all your hard work in making this story, it really shows. I look forward to more of your stories to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also if you'd somehow made it so the text on here glitched every so often, I would have loafed myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you finally came back! The ending kinda wrapped up too quick, but it's good enough! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it's over

    From part 3: "And most of the stories were just like that. A lot of them ended with the player’s game freezing or becoming so unplayable the player turned the game off. Very few ended quite as dramatically as mine. However, as I’ll get into later, my story was also unique in a much more important way."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part 4 also has

      “The Princess is the ghost of Mr. Carver’s daughter.” (My Note: I’ll get into who Mr. Carver is a few parts from now.) There is nothing to suggest The Princess is the ghost of anyone, or even a ghost at all.

      Delete
  8. please please i need you to help me i have become ingulfed in this story for the past 4-5 hours i read and read it to come to the finish only to realize and aske myself the same question throughout the whole story is it real is the story real and is the forum still there is she still in the games is she happy now please answer this question please tell me please

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful... simply... Beautiful... Very well done.. Continue to do more of this.. Nice JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was interesting, now perhaps I shall look on Call Of Duty, Skyrim, or even to make the story worsen, Dead Space. Might be fake, but I dont care. As long as im playing a fun as fuck game for hours with weapons being guns, swords, or blasters, to many different abilities, thu'um, kenesis, and ability to switch loadout. If I stumble apon this im gonna ride the lightning, wish me luck, but im not devoting a part of my life for games because games are a pasttime, not another OCD pattern to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like this in a book form now, please, with Dave McKean doing the art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why I waited so long after begining reading this blog to begin posting... but I'm still out here as well. I Dont't know if you remember me from the Society, but I'm interested in talking to you. It's not over, far from it my friend. She's still appearing IN MY GAMES. Current games at that. I can't just let it go. Please contact me through this account, I feel alone in this and although you've explained that numbers dont exactly provide strength I feel as if I could find some comfort in someone who has been through the same things I have. I hadnt posted my Story on The Princess Society, and I feel as if now is a good time to share it. It's on my blog if you want to look it over to see if anything in particular sticks out to you.

    Hoping to hear from you soon,
    Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obviously not the person who made this blog, but I believe I have seen her.
      I need to talk to someone about this. Contact me on this email barko1998@yahoo.com.au

      I need some answers,
      Connor.

      Delete
  13. So the Princess isn't really bound to the electronic medium, but pretty much anything that refers to her likeness, like a drawing. This kind of psychic Frankenstein could be like those haunted paintings and such.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am lucky enough to own an Ocarina of Time copy and a Nintendo 64 system.
    I will try to find her when I have some time in my hands, wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that you will take my word for it, but I saw her. Well I sort of saw her. I was playing Saints Row 4 and I was killing things with the Dubstep Gun, and suddenly everything started to glitch around and then the people started to do the arms to the side stance and floating towards me. I freaked out and unplugged my Xbox because I knew what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, simply changed into aware of your post through Bing, and located that it is really informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate for those who proceed this in future. Lots of other people will be benefited from your post. Thanks in advance
    Dress up Games Foxhunting

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe it's my ADD or something but I think the length of the story ruins it. I love these game horror stories. They're so entertaining. Good Job OP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adam, Brian, Carver, Dan, Ellie, Faye, Gina.

    Is it a coincidence that the characters' names follow the alphabetical order?

    ReplyDelete
  19. And now, I practically fudge myself whenever a game glitches.

    ReplyDelete